martes, 23 de diciembre de 2008

Baseball



We went to a baseball game last week. They love baseball here. We went to a game in a city called San Francisco de Macoris, whose baseball team is called, get this, The Giants (Gigantes). They were playing one of the two teams from the capital called Leones de Escogido (Lions of the chosen one. I don't get it either). The other teams are the Aguilas/Eagles, of Santiago (my team), the Toros/Bulls (formerly known as the Azucareros, or Sugar farmers. Good name change) of La Romana, the other capital team called Tigres/Tigers de Licey (the city where the team used to be), and the Estrellas/Stars of San Pedro de Macoris.
Baseball here is great. The games are insane. After the Aguilas won last year, the street party in Samana, the city I was in at the time, was the biggest I have ever seen. People say that baseball is the DR's actual religion. I beg to differ, but I would say it is pretty close.

No hay comentarios.: